| GOBLET OF FIRE: Where have all the house elves gone?!!
| Friday, November 18, 2005
First, I have to acknowledge the fact that the monumental task of summarizing an almost 800 page book into 2 hours and 25 minutes worth of film must have been difficult if not impossible (w/c of course it was). And to bring to life the crucial events in the most climactic book of the Potter series so as to satisfy the imagination of hordes of devoted Potter fanatics must have been a bitch!
Now, if you don't mind, may i just make a couple of criticisms...
The creators of the film totally neglected & even cut out essential parts and characters of the book that I would've loved to see in the movie!
For instance, they only showed the beginning of the Quidditch World Cup. Though, I have to say that the stadium was spectacular!
The leprechaun presentation was included but they totally cut out the veela presentation. As a matter of fact, there was no mention or acknowledgement of a veela in the entire film. Fleur Dela Coeur, who was supposedly a drop-dead gorgeous part-veela didn’t as much as turn any boy to mush that if you weren’t familiar with the book you would just think of her as a cute younger, blonder version of Claire Danes during her "My So-called Life" stint.
There was no Quidditch playing whatsoever.
And get this...NO WINKY OR DOBBY AT ALL!
They showed Barty Crouch JR making the dark mark sign amidst the chaos post-Quidditch World Cup. He was supposed to be stay virtually invisible until the end of the movie! Plus he had this weird annoying tounge-thing!
There were deatheaters but no floating, upside-down muggles being tormented and tortured by the deatheaters.
The final Tri-Wizard challenge, the Maze could have been done a lot better. From what I imagined, the Maze was supposed to be scary & full of challenges. The only frightening thing inside the Maze were the hedges. Moving, attacking hedges and slithering vines.
Oooohh. How truly frightening!
No giant spiders. No dementors. No weird Hagrid pets. No sphinx going "Riddle me this Harry...".
The graveyard face-off scene between Harry Potter and a somewhat tan and fit version of Voldemort (who, by the description of the book is supposed to look bone-thin, ghastly and sinister) was a wee bit underdone (for me anyway) as the scene was supposed ot be somewhat dark and intense. I mean, for the love of god! The deatheaters were standing around looking bored!
Also, no appearances by the Dursleys, the older Weasley boys, Mrs. Weasley, Sirius Black (although mentioned in the credits, the fireplace scene...totally CG), Ludo Bagman, and Professor Trelawney.
But I guess it wasn’t all that bad.
There are a couple of scenes you have to watch out for because they were incredibly amazing and just like everything I dreamed.
The Durmstrang ship rising from the black lake and the Beauxbaton flying carriage was exactly how I imagined it.
The Goblet of Fire spurting out the names of the Tri-Wizard champions (including the Weasley twins attempting to place their names in the cup and failing miserably - matching white hair & beards).
The first and second Tri-Wizard tasks with the dragons & merpeople. Very cool!
The prefect bathroom (oh my god! BATHROOM!) with a Moaning Myrtle almost sexually harrassing Harry Potter was hilarious!
Ron's dressrobes were also exactly how I pictured it to be...frilly & lacey & maroon-ish. Funny!
And oh yeah, Cedric Diggory & Viktor Krum. Nice! Smart move making Krum way hotter than he was really supposed to be.
When it comes to the other new characters, I think the actors they picked to play Maddam Maxime, Rita Skeeter, Mad-Eye Moody, Patil sisters and Cho Chang were perfect. Fleur dela Couer, not so much. She looked like your typical French girl. Nothing spectacular.
By the way, is the Heart Evangelista auditioning for Cho Chang rumor true? Cause if it is, well obviously she didn’t get picked and so to borrow the infamous catch phrase of Nelson of "The Simpsons," I would have to say... Ha-Ha!
As a whole, the script & the scenes didn't flow too well. Me thinks they focused more on the visual effects, but hey! I ain't complaining! The visuals were great.
I guess I would have to say that the movie was a tad bit overhyped and the trailer practically showed all the highlights already. They should have left out a few surprises.
I think I expected way too much since GOB is my favorite Potter book. My bad!
In my absolute honest opinion, Prisoner of Azkaban was and will probably always be the best movie version of Harry Potter.
But hey! That’s just me. To each his own right?
If you have any comments and violent reactions regarding this post... AVADA KEDAVRA ! Kidding!
See the movie for yourself and well, you be the judge.
|posted by dyeni @ 10:08 PM
| memoirs of a wuss
| Tuesday, November 15, 2005
I just saw The Exorcism of Emily Rose with my dad. It was his birthday and he wanted to see the movie so I had no choice. Believe me if I did I would see something else, even Spiritista again (yes, I said "again" and don't let me get started on that movie)!
How was the movie? I have no idea. The movie was half set in a courtroom and half the exorcism of Emily Rose. I only saw the courtroom half. No wait, I saw one extremely creepy scene by accident that involves the time 3AM. My jacket was sole witness to the events that occurred during the exorcism scenes, since I had my jacket over my face during those times. I just had my dad tell me about the scenes I missed so at least it wasn't totally money gone to waste.
Let me put it this way, compared to Emily Rose, The Exorcist is laughable. This one (from what I heard) did not involve green vomit, 360 degrees head rotation, levitation or extreme gymnastic tricks involving the stairs.
This was for real, which for me was the most frightening fact.
The Magandang Gabi bayan Halloween stories compared to this was pure crap. Geez, even just HEARING the possession scenes and the exorcism ritual performed was horrifying for me.
The Emily Rose case was actually the first and I think only recognized demonic possession case by the Catholic Church.
The thing with me is when I go see scary movies, I don't SEE scary movies, I more of LISTEN to scary movies.
Early on, I already knew that I could not handle scary movies. I found out about this after I saw Shake, Rattle & Roll and got scared of a "tiyanak" story. If that scared the crap out of me, what more movies with outstanding visual effects right?
But the knowledge of my cowardice when it comes to horror movies did not stop me from attempting to see, sorry, LISTEN to these types of films.
I then thought that I outgrew this scaredy-cat phase of mine so I saw, as in REALLY SAW the Japanese version of The Ring Trilogy. The damned movie gave me nightmares about things coming out of my TV, and about waking up with "Sadako" right in front of my face for months.
So after that traumatic experience I happily went back to just LISTENING once again to scary movies.
Just think, if I actually saw the Emily Rose exorcism ritual or the times she was possessed, even if I downed a bottle of sleeping pills (well if I don't die from the overdose), I would probably not be able to sleep for a year.
I guess I just have to accept and live with the fact that when it comes to horror films, no matter how old I get, I will forever be a wuss.
|posted by dyeni @ 8:04 AM
| GY Bobong Booboos
| Thursday, November 03, 2005
I would just like to point out that this is an EXTREMELY incomplete list of the stupid things my friend Mitch and I said during the duration of our GY shift (so far, 2 months and still counting).
If completed, this list would have more than a hundred entries.
Realistically, the words and actions stated below were probably mentioned or made in approximately a span of 1 week at the most.
1. "poink & beans" (pork & beans)- jenny
2. "dis ditas" - mitch
3. posing ng pilay - mitch (this wasn't said but it was unwittingly acted by Mitch)
4. "pumasok sa labas ng mata ko" - mitch
5. "nagchiki (chika)kami ni ms jo" - jenny
6. "scalls" (calls) - mitch
7. "naranasan mo na bang matusok sa milong" (ilong)?!! - mitch
8. "kasi 4 drays (days) straight siya" - jenny
9. "hindi ako kelloid" - jenny (distractedly screaming to mitch while playing zuma)
10. "nasa bunganga na yung mga bula" (BOLA SA ZUMA)- jenny
11. "you have a hearing problem! hala! baka you have anorexic (dyslexic) ears!" (said to mitch) - jenny
12. mitch attempt to kill jenny: feed jenny bloody chicken & fried bangaw
13. "[explicit deleted] CALL CENTER, this is Mitch, how can I help me?" - mitch
14. "ES-ES-ET! ES-ES-ET! ES-ES-ET! ES-ES-ET! ES-ES-ET!" - mitch, attempting to say SSS
15. "Punyeta! Ang bagal kumain ng matatanda!" - jenny screaming and startling mitch in the process, in reference to Diner Dash
16. "Doo!" (supposed to be "Duh!") - mitch
17. "Daaa!" (supposed to be "Duh") - jenny, nung nakarma
18. "Poopoo" - name of a wawa black dog full of galis
19. "Trumpo" - name of a spinning dog
20. "Skirin!" (Screen) - mitch
21. "Please put pillow on top of me foot!" - mitch being irish
22. "Hiding! Ano tong hiding?! Ano tong hiding?! Heading! Potang ina!" - mitch
23. Divion (supposedly division) - typing error of mitch, will now be used as a name of a future perfume or mineral water
24. "Oy! Sa slinggo (linggo) pwede ka ba?!" - mitch
25. "I'll-a-buy a hamster! I'll-a-buy hamster!" - mitch while hopping up and down
26. "No! Those are scrumby dodos (origin unknown)!" - jenny
27. schmoopy (origin unknown) - mitch & jenny's term for depression or sadness
28. "its for ars!"(supposedly "its for us") - jenny informing mitch
29. "yung ee-na" - (supposedly "yung una"), jenny making kwento to mitch
30. "stacatto!" - mitch's glory
31. "Hah! I am a nerd! A nerd!" - Words mitch proudly declared after answering a particularly difficult science trivia question. Then after 1 second, she feels depressed by her nerdiness.
32. mitch, after coughing and practically dying after choking over water and air. - "I did not anticipate breathing!"
33. "Jenny, Queen of Watsons" - finds out that she was crowned after coming across half a dozen Watsons men employees in the exact same clothes she was wearing (purple shirt, blue jeans)
34. "Barney" - what Jenny used to describe her clothes, in connection w/ "Queen of Watsons"
35. And mother of all booboos, D-day, 10-17-2005, Monday, Cake Day!
a. mitch's pants' zipper explodes revealing a horrid looking pair of panties full of duckies
b. mitch & jenny tries to be healthy by eating yogurt and trying their best to enjoy it no matter how evil-tasting it is only to find out that it was evil-tasting coz it was expired
c. mitch almost buys "pins for the dead" to fix her pants zipper
d. mitch & jenny spends 15 minutes imagining and laughing at Alex Compton putting his face inside his coffee (see post titled TOW with the freakin' funniest friends episode ever)
e. they spend another 15 minutes imagining and laughing again at Alex Compton using a dog to stir his coffee (see post titled TOW with the freakin' funniest friends episode ever)
f. "BLAT!" - (supposedly blind bat) word created by Mitch,but due to sleepiness mixed the two words together
g. "Manong, paano pumuntang kawayan?" -mitch to forbes guard
h. "Siguro iniisip niya (referring to an officemate) sa atin, yung mga matutusong poopoo na yun!" - mitch to jenny, for lack of any other description due to sleepiness
36. "I'm mad at you SUKLU (origin of word unknown)!" - mitch
37. "bundot-sundot (supposedly sunod-sunod)" - mitch
38. "dabededi show (supposedly that 70's show)" - jenny
39. "I'm sorry po maam, di ko po kayo masyadong marining, medyo chubby (choppy) po yung line niyo" - jenny
40. "ulitit (supposedly ulitin) mo yan!" - mitch
|posted by dyeni @ 7:51 AM